Hello to you! I hope you find something useful in my blog. Mental health and substance abuse are two very difficult things to deal with. If this reaches at least one other person than it is all worth it especially since I'm mainly starting this to keep my help with my symptoms. I have Depression and Anxiety as well. Hey, writing everyday is a great way to relieve stress and great exercise for what I want to do with my life. Remember, It's one step at at time. If you have a topic you'd like to me to blog about feel free to E-Mail me. We can correspond so that I'm as helpful as possible.

Sunday, January 16, 2011

A Coping Skill is in Order.

     We all have stress in our lives. This is a fact. One coping skill that I'm starting today is a blog/journal.  Taking a nap is on the list but I've been doing far too much of that lately and I think the culprit is depression.  If you can access this off a computer than you can surely find a list of coping skills.  They're very easy to search out using a search engine like Google.
   
     I was at my wit's end a few days ago with my depression.  I found a suggestion off the internet that I liked very much. It was to change up your routine.  Typically I sit at the computer all day growing more bored as time wears on.  I decided to drag myself out of my computer chair and to read which is also another coping skill. I was surprised how quickly it worked despite personally not being much of a reader.

     I would very much like to become a writer but that takes work and more work!  I read about fifteen pages out of a "how to" book and just before my head imploded I set it down and was feeling better.  Writing a novel is apparently not an easy thing to do.  One of the tips in the book is to keep a journal. Look at me multitask!

 
     I find this to be very soothing.  I tend to bottle things up from my years of alcoholism.  I've relapsed about seven times in as many months until I typically pass out believing that I have my old tolerance.  I really want to quit and luckily pour whatever I have remaining down the drain the next day.  Seven months ago I would have rolled out of bed and found the first open beer I could find.  I quit the first week of June in 2010 but that's definitely not my date of sobriety.  Unfortunately if you don't quit for good, drinking once a month or occasionally tricks your body into thinking it is getting more of the substance eventually, and never fully begins the healing process.

     I've had quite a bit of time away now from daily drinking but that doesn't make me sober by any stretch of the imagination.  I nearly went out to get a six-pack today.  There are good and bad days and believe me, today is a bad one!  I was forced to reach into my "toolbox" (where you keep your coping skills) and decided that this would be a good place to start.  Addictions are incredibly hard to deal with and especially when you have a mental illness (Dual-Diagnosis).  Success breeds success and taking these first steps in creating a blog will hopefully get the ball rolling.  Like everything else it will just take discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment